The Basic About Internal Linking
In improving your website’s visibility and credibility the most crucial aspect that need to be considered is in terms of seo towards the best seo specialist specifically in the context of internal links.
What is an internal link?
You create an internal link when you link one webpage on your website to another on the same exact domain.
Why internal inks matter?
Internal links matter a lot, and they can help you on these aspects:
- Bounce rate: Internal links can decrease your bounce rate, and can increase page views.<
- Sales funnel: It can dictate which pages a user should visit.
- Authority flow. Internal links can send link equity to other web pages. This can eventually result to website authority.
- Indexing. It allows search engine crawlers to efficiently index the website.
10 Rules of Internal Linking
1. Utilize exact match anchor text.
It is possible to utilize keyword-rich and exact match anchors making internal links. Try your best do what is natural, and best for every user.
2. Be intelligent on how you structure a webpage.
Always remember that every link in your navigation is a part of your internal linking strategy. This only means that you need to structure your webpages properly and strategically.
If you want to boost the visibility of a particular keyword or page, use a good anchor text for the first instance of the link.
3. Take advantage of your homepage.
The homepage is usually the strongest webpage on every website, and it must be utilized well to generate more authority. Because of this, you need to be very selective with the pages you are planning to link from the homepage.
4. Create deep links.
In order to ensure maximum indexation of your website, create deep links as much as possible. Creating links even to the deeper pages helps Google and search engines discover long-forgotten pages. This can generate more traffic.
5. Internal links must be always “Follow.”
The only appropriate time to utilize “nofollow” is when your website has affiliate links in the blog comments part. If you are removing duplicate posts, use “follow” and “noindex” tags.
6. Open links to new windows.
Many professionals prefer to open links in new windows. Whenever you are reading an online article, and needs to checkout a link, what will happen? Of course, you wouldn’t want to lose your spot. Opening new windows on the same tab is considered as poor user experience.
7. Anchor Text = ALT Tag
If you want to link your photos to a specific internal source, ensure that the ALT tag has the target keyword of the web page you are trying to link to.
8. Avoid committing coding mistakes.
9. Manual internal linking is the most effective strategy.
It is highly recommended not to utilize plugins when creating links internally. Certain plugins automate the linking process, and it should be avoided. Plugins can’t understand user intent and experience, and this is the very goal of internal linking.
10. Never go crazy with internal links.
Don’t create internal links just to manipulate the algorithms of search engines. Helping your readers should be your number one goal. If you are overwhelming your audience with a huge amount of links, you are hurting user experience. This can eventually lead to greater bounce rates.